16 November 2011, 2:00 pm, FH 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Associate Dean Lucy Harney
Council Members: Ken Margerison (for Mary Brennan), Dennis Dunn, Bill Kelemen, Beth Erhart, Susan Day, Sandra Mayo, Bob Fischer, Vince Luizzi, Dan Lochman, Phil Suckling, Vicki Brittain, Associate Dean Britt Bousman, and Associate Dean Nancy Grayson
Dean Hennessy announced that Dr. Mark Busby will step down as Director of Texas State’s Center for the Study of the Southwest effective August 2012. Discussions with the Provost are ongoing regarding the future directorship of the Center.
1. MCGS Proposed Revisions: Minors in Women’s Studies and Diversity Studies:
Dr. Sandra Mayo, Director of Texas State’s Center for Multicultural and Gender Studies, presented Council members with proposed updates and revisions affecting the minors offered in Women’s Studies and Diversity Studies. The proposal was unanimously approved. Department chairs are encouraged to contact Dr. Mayo directly with follow-up comments regarding the addition/deletion of courses relevant to these minors.
2. Tuition Exemption Procedures: Mandatory GA Training Course:
Dr. Bob Fischer distributed a copy of the Request for Tuition and Fee Exemption form required of graduate students seeking payment exemption for mandatory graduate/teaching assistant courses. Dr. Fischer reviewed request procedures that have proven successful for graduate assistants in Modern Languages. He recommended that chairs make contact with Ms. Micky Autrey in Curriculum Services and Ms. Jodie Mangold in Student Business Services to verify that exemption-eligible courses are indicated appropriately. Council members discussed the most efficient ways to assist their students in processing these exemption requests.
3. Changes to PPS 5.06:
Associate Dean Bousman reviewed recent pen-and-ink changes to PPS 5.06 pertaining to incentive compensation for externally funded sponsored programs. Dr. Bousman distributed a sample model to illustrate how compensation to faculty and to departments would be calculated. Dr. Suckling expressed concern about contracting sufficiently qualified instructors to replace eligible research faculty in their teaching responsibilities. Dr. Bousman emphasized that chairs retain approval authorization for the faculty buy-out requests addressed in this PPS.
4. HACU Internships:
Dr. Harney circulated a brochure outlining the many federal and corporate internships and other professional opportunities available to our students through the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities. Several Council members expressed interest in these programs. More information can be found at: http://www.hacu.net/hacu/HNIP.asp.
5. University Draft Initiatives:
Council members reported on departmental responses to the proposed University Draft Initiatives for the upcoming strategic planning cycle. Many suggestions involved emphasizing academic standards, international initiatives, and safety concerns on campus. Dean Hennessy will compile Council members’ reports and circulate a draft for Council review before sending the report of the College to President Trauth’s strategic planning team.
Around the table:
Dr. Day updated Council members on the progress with the implementation of Banner.
The meeting was adjourned.
• December 1: Deadline for chairs to submit tenure/promotion decisions to dean
• December 5: Departmental Workload Policies due to Dean Hennessy
• December 9: Fall 2012 Schedule of Classes 1st edits due to Registrar’s Office
• December 15: Deadline to submit proposals for University Lecturers Series (proposals to: Roger Colombik RC26@txstate.edu)
• January 5 – March 3: Annual Faculty Performance Evaluation and Post-Tenure Review
• January 10 – 24: Chair and PC review continuing faculty in 1st contract yr.
• January 12: Deadline to apply for Mental Health Research Grants (for tenure-track professors) (http://www.hogg.utexas.edu/rfp/research_grants_rfp_2012.html)
• January 15: Deadline to upload course proposals (changes, adds, deletions) to the curriculum TRACS site (LA Curriculum 11-12)
• January 25: PC submits recommendation for 1st yr. faculty to chair
• January 27: Summer 2012 Schedule of Classes final edits due to Registrar’s Office
• January 31: Nominations for Muir Mentoring Awards due to dean (http://www.txstate.edu/effective/upps/upps-04-04-36.html)
• February 1: Chairs submit reappointment forms for 1st yr. continuing faculty to dean
• February 3: Chairs inform 1st yr. continuing faculty of reappointment action
• February 10: Nominations for Presidential Awards for Excellence due to dean
• February 10: Fall 2012 Schedule of Classes final edits due to Registrar’s Office
• March 1: Deadline for Summer Pre-doctoral Fellowship Applications (http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/Predoctoral_Fellowship.html)
• March 19 – April 16: Chair and PC review continuing faculty in 2nd contract yr. or 3rd or subsequent contract yr.
• April 1: Deadline to apply to use faculty-authored materials in Summer 2012 (http://www.provost.txstate.edu/pps/policy-and-procedure-statements/4-teaching/pps4-10.html)
• April 30: Chairs submit reappointment forms for faculty in 2nd contract yr. or 3rd or subsequent contract yr. to dean
• May 1: Deadline for chairs to provide list of faculty eligible for tenure/promotion in 2012-2013
• May 4: Chairs inform faculty in 2nd contract yr. or 3rd or subsequent contract yr. of reappointment action
Liberal Arts and Related Events:
• December 1-2: 6th Annual Undergraduate Research Conference (LBJ 3-9.1 &
3-14.1) (abstracts by 11/14 http://www.txstate.edu/honors/current/honorconf.html)
• December 13: Workshop: Staff Performance Appraisal Training (2:30-4:30, JCK 460) (https://ibis.sap.txstate.edu:50001/irj/portal)
• December 16: Liberal Arts Commencement (2:00, Strahan)
• December 5: Workshop: Job Classification Training—Supervisors and Employees (2:30-4:30, JCK 460) (https://ibis.sap.txstate.edu:50001/irj/portal)
• December 6: Workshop: EEO Training for Employees—Non-Supervisors (1-4:30, JCK 1100) (https://ibis.sap.txstate.edu:50001/irj/portal)
• November 29: IEF Study Abroad Scholarship information session (3-4, Thornton 1st floor)
• November 29: Writing Center Workshop: “Finding Your Academic Voice” (5:00, FH G04)
• December 1: Farmers Market (Quad)
• December 5: Last day of Fall classes