Liberal Arts Council Minutes
19 March 2008, 2:00 pm, FH 313
(Approved at a meeting of Liberal Arts Council, 26 March 2008)
Presiding: Dean Ann Marie Ellis
Recording: Associate Dean Daniel Lochman
Council Members: Frank Barrios, Vicki Brittain, Mark Busby, Susan Day, Frank de la Teja, Dennis Dunn, Nancy Grayson, Michael Hennessy, Vince Luizzi, Jon McGee, Philip Suckling
Guests: John Blair, Dick Heaberlin, James Kimmel
1. Minutes approved for Liberal Arts Council meeting on 3-5-08 (multicultural designation, Scholar Rescue Fund, Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award Celebration, Liberal Arts Awards, Jones Professorship applications, CAD update)
2. Congratulations to Frank de la Teja (HIST), honored in Dallas on 3/15 by the national DAR, who bestowed upon him the Americanism Award for career achievement.
3. Liberal Arts in the News. The Winter 2008 issue of tx H20: A Publication of the Texas Water Resources Institute quotes David Butler and Richard Dixon (both GEO) as experts on Texas climate and water issues.
4. Interviews of nominees for the Jones Professorship. Council members interviewed three nominees for the 2008-2011 Jesse H. and Mary Gibbs Professor of Southwestern Studies. They will interview one additional nominee at a future meeting.
5. Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Students in Liberal Arts. Dr. Grayson reminded chairs to review the nominations of undergraduate and graduate student nominees for awards. Council discussed ways to facilitate access to materials, including development of a TRACS site for scanned materials. The Dean indicated the College will consider investing in a copier to facilitate scanning and sending files.
6. CAD update: Program Learning Outcomes for General Education courses. Dean Ellis summarized discussion of Program Learning Outcomes at the 3/18 meeting of the Council of Academic Deans, and she announced that revisions to outcomes for General Education courses offered by Liberal Arts departments are due in June. Before then, chairs should proofread recently drafted revisions and seek advice of faculty in their departments before this semester’s end. She asked chairs to compare their revised outcomes to and ensure compatibility with the outcomes for general education courses established by the University and the State of Texas.
The Dean emphasized that SACS will expect to see General Education’s program learning outcomes printed on all syllabi for General Education courses and that on-site SACS representatives who question faculty teaching General Education courses must know what the outcomes for those courses are.
Around the Table
Dr. Day inquired about the deadline for chairs’ annual reports to the Dean and suggested that LAC needs to consider the guidelines and procedures for recommending Liberal Arts students for Academic Excellence awards. Dean Ellis and Dr. Grayson agreed that that the issue should be added to a future agenda.
•Friday, March 21, 5 pm: Applications for developmental leave (original for signatures only) due to the Dean (Note that date has been moved back)
•Friday, March 21, through Wednesday, April 16: Personnel committees review tenure-track faculty in second and subsequent contract years
•Friday-Saturday, March 19-22, Hyatt Regency, Austin: Meeting of the National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies (http://www.naccs.org/). LA is sponsoring a table. Stacie McGee (firstname.lastname@example.org) requests help from graduate students or others to staff the table on Saturday; please contact her as soon as possible
•Monday, March 24: Deadline for the faculty to forward applications to the Dean for the 2008 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute
•By Tuesday, March 25: Departmental Presidential Upper Level Scholarship Committees to have met and considered candidates
•Wednesday, March 26, 2 pm, FH 313: LAC meets to complete interviews of Jones Professorship applicants and review Liberal Arts proposals to add and delete courses
•Wednesday, March 26, 3:30-5, Old Main 102C: Mr. Steve Wilson (ENG) and Dr. Nathan Pino (SOCI) to lead workshop on developing Fulbright proposals; register at http://www.ada.txstate.edu/faculty/workshop-spring.html
•Wednesday, March 26, 5 pm: All copies of Developmental Leave applications due to the Faculty Senate office
•Wednesday, March 26, 7-9 pm: History department’s Women’s History Month Event: “Women and Popular Music: Trials and Triumphs,” Taylor-Murphy 104
•Wednesday, March 26, 8 pm, LBJSC Mall: Dr. Silvia Earle presents “Sustainable Seas”
•Thursday, March 27, 10 am, Evans: Dr. Earle to present Lovell Center Distinguished Lecture
•Friday, March 28: Deadline for departments to submit Presidential Upper Level Scholarship applications to the Dean’s office Friday, March 28, 3 pm, ELA 245: LA Study Abroad Council meets
•Monday, March 31: Deadline for the Dean to forward to Dr. Mayo recommendations for participants in the 2008 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute
•Tuesday, April 1: Deadline for chairs to submit annual reports to the Dean
•Tuesday, April 1: Deadline to submit request to use faculty-authored materials in the summer sessions (2008). For information on the approval process see http://www.txstate.edu/academicaffairs/pps/pps4/4-10.html
•Tuesday, April 1: Deadline for Hispanic Scholarship Consortium applications, found with information at <http://www.hispanicscholar.org>
•Tuesday, April 1: Deadline to upload faculty vitae into TRACS folders
•Thursday, April 3, 3-4 pm, Dean’s Conference Room, FH 313: Dean’s Open Door meeting for LA staff
•Friday, April 4, 5 pm: Deadline to submit proposals for Fall 2008 and Spring 2009 University Lecturers. Information is available from the Committee chair, Janet Payne
•Friday, April 4, 9:30-11 am, Alkek 105/106: Dean Willoughby to meet with Liberal Arts graduate advisors; the Dean and chairs also may attend
•Thursday, April 10, 3-4 pm, Derrick 111: Dean’s first Open Door meeting for LA faculty
•Monday, April 14, 3-4 pm, ELA 245: Dean’s second Open Door meeting for LA faculty
•Wednesday, April 16, 2 pm, place TBA: LAC meets for budget workshop
•Saturday, April 19, 10:15 am -12:15 pm, LBJSC Ballroom: Bobcat Day
•Tuesday, April 22: Joann Cole Mitte Faculty Grant Committee forwards top three applications to the Provost; College must review proposals prior to this date
•Thursday, April 24, 6 pm, Centennial Hall Teaching Theatre: Liberal Arts Awards Ceremony
•Wednesday, April 30: Departmental decisions for faculty in second and subsequent contract years due to the Dean
•Thursday, May 1: Deadline to submit applications for NEH Fellowships. For information see http://www07.grants.gov/search/search.do?mode=VIEW&oppId=40862 <http://www07.grants.gov/search/search.do?mode=VIEW&oppId=40862>
•Friday, May 9: Deadline to e-mail to email@example.com two-page proposals for the two-week Technology Integration Workshop, held in August
•Friday, May 9, 9 am, Strahan: LA Commencement
•Tuesday, July 1: Deadline to submit request to use faculty-authored materials in the fall session (2008). For information on the approval process see http://www.txstate.edu/academicaffairs/pps/pps4/4-10.html