Liberal Arts Council Minutes
5 March 2008, 2:00 pm, FH 313
(Approved at LAC meeting on 19 March 2008)
Presiding: Dean Ann Marie Ellis
Recording: Associate Dean Daniel Lochman
Council Members: Frank Barrios, Vicki Brittain, Susan Day, Robert Fischer, Nancy Grayson, Daniel Lochman for Michael Hennessy, Peter Hutcheson for Vince Luizzi, Jon McGee, Philip Suckling
1. LAC minutes for meeting on 2-27-08 (curricular issues, CAD update) approved online, 2-29-08.
2. Congratulations: (a) To proposed Mitte Chair in Creative Writing Li-young Lee, featured on PBS’s Lehrer News Hour (3/3). (b) To the Philosophy faculty, whose proposed MA in Applied Philosophy and Ethics has been approved by the Faculty Senate and Council of Academic Deans. (c) To Sandra Mayo, Pam Lemoine, and
Mary Gibson for an excellent event (2/29) honoring Texas State’s outstanding women, in connection with National Women’s History Month. (d) To the Department of Psychology, which posted all faculty CVs in the new required Texas State format by 2/29.
3. The Dean’s Thanks (a) To members of the Liberal Arts Faculty Advisory Council, who on two Friday afternoons painstakingly reviewed more than 120 Liberal Arts course proposals for the 2008-2009 curriculum cycle. (b) To Vince Luizzi (PHIL), who will chair a search to hire a chairman for the Department of Psychology.
4. Procedure for designating courses in class schedules as “Multicultural.” Dean Ellis announced that Dr. Mayo plans to work with the Registrar’s office to ensure accurate designation of multicultural classes on the schedule of classes, beginning Spring 2009. Chairs will no longer need to indicate the multicultural designation on drafts of schedules.
5. Scholar Rescue Fund. The Dean encouraged Council to consider participating in a program sponsored by the Institute of International Education. It is designed to identify and provide fellowship support (three months to a year) for faculty at institutions in foreign countries facing threats of physical harm, censorship, or other physical or professional risks. Participation requires joint support from the Scholar Rescue Fund and participating American institutions. Support may include in-kind services, office space, accommodations, etc., for the international faculty member, who would teach classes during the stay at Texas State. Council offered its support to the Dean as she forwards a proposal to the Provost.
6. Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award Celebration. Dean Ellis announced that May 2 is the date of Alumni Achievement Awards Celebration, to be held at the Headliners Club, Austin. More information will be forthcoming about the event, designed to honor Distinguished Alumni.
7. Liberal Arts Awards. Dr. Grayson received word that the deadline for applications for Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Students has been extended to Tuesday, March 18, with three days for chairs’ review and time allotted for the Outstanding Undergraduate to prepare a packet required for commencement speaker. (She requested and obtained an extension to March 24 for the packet from the Provost’s office.) Dr. Grayson also emphasized that policies dictate that each department may nominate only one nominee for each of the undergraduate and graduate awards. On a separate matter, she noted that she has been passing along to departments the names of graduating students capable of receiving degrees summa cum laude.
8. Jones Professorship applications. Dr. Grayson reminded chairs who have not already done so to review applications for the Professorship prior to interviewing the applicants at the Council meeting scheduled for 3/19.
9. CAD update:
a. Testing of selected General Education students. Dean Ellis noted that the next CAD meeting will focus on measuring learning outcomes for General Education students. She informed Council that CAD might choose to supplement assessment of General Education through an examination offered to a subset of students completing first-through-senior years at Texas State. A possible examination is the Collegiate Learning Assessment test.
b. Program Learning Outcomes for General Education courses. The Dean led a discussion that reviewed Program Learning Outcomes for General Education courses offered by Liberal Arts departments and considered ways to develop effective outcomes that are meaningful and measurable.
c. Council’s questions for General Education and Institutional Effectiveness. The Dean invited chairs to forward to her questions to assist the Office of Institutional Research as it prepares for discussion of General Education’s learning outcomes.
d. Budget development: workshops: Council considered possible dates for chairs and administrative assistants to attend workshops intended to help departments learn a new system of budget development on SAP. Selection of the date(s) is in progress, with at least one workshop to be offered at 2 pm on Wednesday, April 16. Departments will prepare budgets that include all current faculty, staff, and student employees with the exception of those funded by grants and other budget items.
On another matter, the Dean noted that the Provost confirmed his commitment to fund growth by adding new classes as required by enrollments, add new lecturer lines to assist with the staffing of growing enrollments, and continue with plans for new program development. The Dean will seek clarification of new requirements for notifications related to online offerings.
e. Usage of services in the Office of Disability Services (ODS). The Dean reported that data developed by the Director of ODS and the Vice President for Student Affairs show a dramatic increase in the use of disability services.
f. Low-producing programs and online offerings. The University will notify departments of programs that are low-performing or nearly so.
• By Friday, March 7: Students to submit applications for Undergraduate and Graduate Student Awards (presented at the Liberal Arts Awards ceremony) to their major departments (NB: Please note that this date has changed since the 1/28 memo.)
• Friday, March 7: Deadline to submit nominations for the Texas State Alumni Association’s Teaching Award of Honor. Nomination forms are available at http://www.TxStateAlumni.org
• Friday, March 7: Deadline to submit nominations for the Texas State Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award. Nomination forms are available at http://www.TxStateAlumni.org
• Friday, March 7: Deadline to submit nominations for the Texas State Alumni Association’s LBJ Outstanding Senior Student Award. Nomination forms are available at http://www.TxStateAlumni.org
• Friday, March 7: Deadline to enroll in the workshop “EEO Training for Employees: Non-Supervisors” (to be held March 21, 8:30 am-noon)
• By Monday March 17, 5 pm: Documentation for eligible applicants/nominees for Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Student Awards must be forwarded to the Dean (NB: Please note that this date has changed since the 1/28 memo.)
• Tuesday, March 18, 5 pm: Joann Cole Mitte Faculty Grant for Excellence applications due to the Committee
• Tuesday, March 18: Developmental Leave applications due to department chairs (Note that date has been moved back)
• By Wednesday, March 19: Departments/centers to provide Dean’s office with names and addresses of students to be recognized for Academic Excellence at LA Awards Ceremony
• By Wednesday, March 19: At the Dean’s office, chairs review and rank applicants/nominees for Outstanding Undergraduate and Graduate Student Awards
• Wednesday, March 19, 2 pm, FH 313: LAC meets to interview candidates for the Jones Professorship and conduct other business
• Friday, March 21, 5 pm: Applications for developmental leave (original for signatures only) due to the Dean (Note that date has been moved back)
• Friday, March 21, through Wednesday, April 16: Personnel committees review tenure-track faculty in second and subsequent contract years
• Friday-Saturday, March 19-22, Hyatt Regency, Austin: Meeting of the National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies (http://www.naccs.org/). LA is sponsoring a table; Stacie McGee (email@example.com) requests help from graduate students or others to staff the table and transport materials
• Monday, March 24: Deadline for the faculty to forward applications to the Dean for the 2008 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute
• Monday, March 24: Deadline for Outstanding Undergraduate to submit the packet required for commencement speaker.
• By Tuesday, March 25: Departmental Presidential Upper Level Scholarship Committees to have met and considered candidates
• Wednesday, March 26, 2 pm, FH 313: LAC meets to complete interviews of Jones Professorship applicants and review Liberal Arts proposals to add and delete courses
• Wednesday, March 26, 5 pm: All copies of Developmental Leave applications due to the Faculty Senate office
• Friday, March 28: Deadline for departments to submit Presidential Upper Level Scholarship applications to the Dean’s office
• Friday, March 28, 3 pm, ELA 245: LA Study Abroad Council meets
• Monday, March 31: Deadline for the Dean to forward to Dr. Mayo recommendations for participants in the 2008 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute
• Tuesday, April 1: Deadline to submit request to use faculty-authored materials in the summer sessions (2008). For information on the approval process see http://www.txstate.edu/academicaffairs/pps/pps4/4-10.html
• Tuesday, April 1: Deadline for Hispanic Scholarship Consortium applications, found with information at www.hispanicscholar.org
• Tuesday, April 1: Deadline to upload faculty vitae into TRACS folders
• Thursday, April 3, 3-4 pm, Dean’s Conference Room, FH 313: Dean’s Open Door meeting for LA staff
• Friday, April 4, 5 pm: Deadline to submit proposals for Fall 2008 and Spring 2009 University Lecturers. Information is available from the Committee chair, Janet Payne
• Thursday, April 10, 3-4 pm, Derrick 111: Dean’s first Open Door meeting for LA faculty
• Monday, April 14, 3-4 pm, ELA 245: Dean’s second Open Door meeting for LA faculty
• Wednesday, April 16, 2 pm, place TBA: LAC meets for budget workshop
• Saturday, April 19, 10:15 am -12:15, LBJSC Ballroom: Bobcat Day
• Tuesday, April 22: Joann Cole Mitte Faculty Grant Committee forwards top three applications to the Provost; College must review proposals prior to this date
• Thursday, April 24, 6 pm, Centennial Hall Teaching Theatre: Liberal Arts Awards Ceremony
• Wednesday, April 30: Departmental decisions for faculty in second and subsequent contract years due to the Dean
• Friday, May 9: Deadline to e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org two-page proposals for the two-week Technology Integration Workshop, held in August
• Friday, May 9, 9 am, Strahan: LA Commencement
• Tuesday, July 1: Deadline to submit request to use faculty-authored materials in the fall session (2008). For information on the approval process see http://www.txstate.edu/academicaffairs/pps/pps4/4-10.html