Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2013
Liberal Arts Council
October 16, 2013, 2:00 pm, FH 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Associate Dean Lucy Harney
Council Members: Bill Kelemen, Paul Hart (for Dennis Dunn), Beth Erhart, Bob Fischer, Alberto Giordano, Susan Day, Vince Luizzi, Dan Lochman, Vicki Brittain, Associate Dean Britt Bousman, and Associate Dean Nancy Grayson
Guest: Leslie Garrett
1. Approve minutes (10/2/13):
Members unanimously approved the LAC minutes from 2 October 2013.
2. Leslie Garrett, new Outreach and Communications Officer:
Leslie Garrett was introduced to Council members. Her duties as outreach and communications officer for the College will include web site management, publicity, and compliance. Council members should contact Leslie with highlights involving Liberal Arts faculty, students, staff, alumni, and donors.
3. Liberal Arts Snapshot:
Dean Hennessy distributed a draft of the current Liberal Arts Snapshot of College facts and highlights. Council members reviewed and offered suggestions and corrections. Dean Hennessy will continue to work on revising the document.
4. Tenure/Promotion procedures:
Dean Hennessy reminded chairs that full professor members of the PC must vote on promotions to full professor in a separate meeting, before the full PC votes on tenure and promotions to associate professor. These votes can occur on separate days, if necessary.
5. Faculty governance review:
Dean Hennessy informed Council members that chairs will be interviewed by members of the Faculty Senate as part of an upcoming Senate review of faculty governance policies in academic departments.
6. CAD update:
Dean Hennessy briefed Council members on the CAD meeting of 9/15:
· Review of compensatory time policy: Dean Hennessy will follow up regarding the use of comp time for Energy Conservation Days.
· Graduate faculty status: Dean Hennessy reviewed revisions to PPS 7.03 outlining qualifications for serving as graduate faculty and for directing theses and dissertations. He will follow up with Dean Golato regarding several questions raised by Council members.
· Preparing documents for University administrators: Dean Hennessy reminded Council members of the need to proofread and fact check all documents to be emitted by the President or other University administrator. The Provost must approve any material to be sent to all faculty, staff, or students.
--Update on the roll-out of Tk20
--Preview of the ACC Pathways Program to enhance recruitment of qualified
--Space still available for spring 2014 in Alkek and Centennial teaching theaters
--Preliminary report on graduate enrollments.
7. Other business:
Council members discussed developmental course release requests from senior lecturers, questions regarding Donor Services, the upcoming computer refresh cycle, and the possibility of a centralized system for processing recommendation letters for job candidates.
January 17, 2014: Deadline for proposals for Student Computing Resources (contact Hyun Yun: 5-4405, email@example.com)
The meeting was adjourned.