Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2013
Liberal Arts Council
22 May 2013, 2:00 pm, FH 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Associate Dean Lucy Harney
Council Members: Bill Kelemen, Dennis Dunn, Beth Erhart, Lucy Harney (for Bob Fischer), Vince Luizzi, Susan Day, Mary Brennan, Dan Lochman, Phil Suckling, Vicki Brittain, Associate Dean Britt Bousman, Associate Dean Nancy Grayson
Guest: Manda Anderson
1. Welcome to Manda Anderson as new LA Advising Center Director
2. Proposed course changes for History teaching certification:
Mary Brennan distributed and reviewed proposed course changes for students seeking teaching certification in History. Council members unanimously approved the proposal.
3. New Course Change Cycle:
Lucy Harney announced that a new fall course cycle will be initiated in 2013 for course changes only. Course change forms must be uploaded to the Curriculum TRACS site by September 5, with approved changes to take effect in Spring 2014. The 2013-2014 TRACS site will become active on August 1. All course requests must be submitted using the new course request form (PPS 2.01 attachment C).
4. Revision to PPS 8.13:
Dean Hennessy distributed a revised version PPS 8.13 regarding the proposed Adjunct Faculty Workload Release Program. He noted that suggestions from the Liberal Arts Council will be considered for inclusion in a future revision.
5. CAD (5/14) update:
Lucy Harney briefed Council members on the CAD meeting of May 14:
· Texas State’s Office of Retention Management and Planning is requesting assistance from Colleges in several initiatives for Parent and Family Relations. Council members should contact Lucy Harney to volunteer to host a table at one of the many Family Receptions to be held this summer. Lucy will follow up on ways to engage the College in other family initiatives, including campus bus tours, videos for the LBJSC family waiting area, the New Bobcat Reception, Family Weekend, a monthly E-newsletter, and Facebook postings.
· Hand-out: Two Changes in Registration and Schedule Changes. Registration for Summer/Fall 2013 classes has been extended to August 6 for all students who were registered in Spring 2013 as well as newly-admitted graduate students. This extension took effect on May 22. Beginning Spring 2014, registration for summer/fall classes will run from March until early August without interruption. Provost Bourgeois asked that Chairs strive to keep sections open throughout the registration period.
6. CAD (5/21) update:
Dean Hennessy briefed Council members on the CAD meeting of May 21:
· Handout: E-Portfolio’s Faculty Qualifications Reporting System (TK20). Dean Hennessy reviewed the implementation schedule for the piloting of E-Portfolio for vita construction, annual faculty evaluation, and the generation of data reports. University-wide implementation is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2014.
· Revised procedures for the reappointment of tenure-track faculty (PPS 8.01) require that the faculty member under review receive a written copy of the complete reappointment form.
· According to a new University policy, University vehicles and other vehicles with frequent campus access will be required to purchase parking permits. Reduced parking permit fees for some faculty and the current practice of reimbursing adjunct faculty for parking fees are currently under consideration.
· The University’s name has been officially changed from Texas State University-San Marcos to Texas State University.
7. Other business:
Lucy Harney reminded chairs/directors to send their assessment reports to her for proofing and uploading as soon as possible and no later than May 30. Once the reports have been uploaded she will notify chairs to approve online.
Around the table:
Susan Day reported difficulty finding enrollment statistics online. Dean Hennessy advised consulting Joe Meyer in Institutional Research.
The meeting was adjourned.