Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2016
Liberal Arts Council
16 November 2016, 2:30 pm, FH 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Susan Day
Present: Council members: Manda Anderson, Audwin Anderson, Mary Brennan, Britt Bousman, Dennis Dunn, Beth Erhart, Ken Grasso, Alberto Giordano, Craig Hanks, Lucy Harney, Bill Kelemen, Dan Lochman, Chad Smith
Guests: Angela Murphy, Jessica Schneider
Absent: Nancy Grayson
- Angela Murphy – Dr. Murphy, the sole finalist for Chair of History, was introduced to the Council. She discussed her research interests and met the chairs and directors.
- Grant routing process for faculty – Jessica Schneider discussed a proposed reminder to be sent to faculty explaining why it is crucial for faculty to route fellowship and grant/research applications through her and through Texas State. She asked chairs to comment on the reminder, which will be sent electronically to chairs, with the intention of their giving it to faculty in mid-January.
- Anthropology PhD Proposal – Dr. Giordano moved the acceptance; Dr. Kelemen seconded. The proposal was approved unanimously.
- Campus Safety – Multiple reports of racist incidents were described as happening at Texas State and other universities. Appropriate responses by administrators to the situations were discussed. Dr. Hennessy distributed a proposed statement to be issued by him on behalf of the College; chairs were asked to comment on the proposed statement. How faculty may deal with the incidents and issues was also discussed.
- Strategic Planning – Dean Hennessy indicated that departments should have their strategic plan ready for submission by February 10.
- Step Up for State 2017 – This project will continue annually, but college-based telethons will be eliminated. Chairs were encouraged to consider funding goals that would be attractive to Step Up for State 2017 donors.
Around the table
- Software procurement – Issues related to redundant purchases have been settled and should not recur. However, security issues may cause the purchase of some cloud software to be rejected.
- The movement to PC based platforms in classrooms was discussed.
The meeting ended at 4:19 P.M.