Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2016
Liberal Arts Council
4 May 2016, 2:00 pm, FH 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Associate Dean Lucy Harney
Council Members: Bill Kelemen, Dennis Dunn, Mary Brennan, Beth Erhart, Alberto Giordano, Craig Hanks, Chad Smith, Dan Lochman, Ken Grasso, Associate Dean Britt Bousman, and Associate Dean Nancy Grayson
Guests: Manda Anderson
1. Approve LAC minutes:
Council members unanimously approved the minutes of the Liberal Arts Council meeting of March 30, 2016.
2. Program Change Proposals:
Ken Grasso presented program proposals from Political Science to reflect new course prefixes for graduate courses in the Paralegal Studies Certificate program and the minor in Legal Studies, as well as changes in admission requirements and deadlines for the MPA.
Council members voted unanimously to approve all proposals.
3. LA PPS 2.02 Tenure and Promotion:
Dean Hennessy distributed a draft of the College’s Policy and Procedure Statement on Tenure and Promotion. After discussion, Council members agreed upon minor revisions. Dean Hennessy will circulate an updated draft for Council approval. The revised document will then be made publicly available on the Liberal Arts website.
Lucy Harney reviewed the procedures for reporting student learning outcomes for spring 2016. Reports should be uploaded and approved on the Outcomes Assessment website by May 31. Chairs/directors are encouraged to upload reports earlier, if possible, to allow for a final check prior to approval.
Audits of previous years’ reports are available on the same reporting site. Additional points of emphasis from AVP Wuest include: 1) accuracy in the reporting of percentages, and 2) references to action plan in “evidence of improvement” section.
AVP Wuest encourages programs to make anticipated changes to outcomes and/or methods in fall 2016. Chairs will begin reporting administrative outcomes (retention, diversity, etc.) in 2016.
5. CAD update:
Nancy Grayson distributed information and briefed Council members on items from the 5/3 CAD meeting:
- VPUA Breier and Jose Beceiro (Director of Strategic Corporate Partnerships) encourage students to submit team demo proposals for the Smart Cities Innovation Summit Conference to be held in Austin, June13-15.
- Deans should report missing gift accounts to AVPUA Dan Perry prior to the beginning of the next Family Campaign.
- Summer training is soon to begin for the new faculty recruitment and hiring system, using PeopleAdmin.
- Deans are to appoint an assistant or associate dean (or chair/director) to serve on the Texas State’s Behavioral Assessment Team (BAT). Nancy Grayson has agreed to represent Liberal Arts.
- Dean Golato and AP Opheim reviewed current policies for graduate student employment.
- AVP Heintze and Dean Golato updated CAD members on admissions reports for fall 2016.
- Other items:
--upcoming Master Plan meeting (space needs to be discussed)
--APR questions to be directed to AVP Wuest and Dana Chapman
--several days’ notice required for requests to serve alcohol at campus events
--discussions upcoming on shared research space
--President’s Council to review Strategic Plan draft
--Dean Brown on funds for hiring summer student workers
Around the table:
Chairs and directors should continue to report research space needs to Britt Bousman.
The meeting was adjourned.