Skip to Content

Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2016

Minutes

Liberal Arts Council

7 September 2016, 2:00pm, FH 230

 

Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Recording: Associate Dean Susan Day
Present: Council members: Bill Kelemen, Lucy Harney, Dennis Dunn, Mary Brennan, Beth Erhart, Alberto Giordano, Craig Hanks, Chad Smith, Audwin Anderson, Dan Lochman, Ken Grasso, Associate Dean Britt Bousman, Manda Anderson (LA Advising Center), and Associate Dean Nancy Grayson

Guests: Laura S. Murray (University Advancement), Leslie Garrett

Agenda

  1. Approve LAC minutes  
    Council members unanimously approved the minutes of the June 29, 2016, Liberal Arts Council meeting.
     
  2. Meet with Laura Murray
    Laura S. Murray, UA Development liaison officer for the College of Liberal Arts, briefed the Council on her background and experience. She noted that her focus will be in finding new donors and thanking current donors.
     
  3. Diversity and Gender Studies program proposal
    The council approved program changes in Undergraduate Minor in Diversity Studies to add a second required course (DVST 3320). 
     
  4. Geography program proposal
    The council approved program changes in the Master’s degrees in Geography to change application process to require 3 (not 2) letters of reference. 
     
  5. Strategic planning update / LA retreat preview  (3 HO)
    Dean Hennessy informed the Council that the strategic planning process officially begins in January 2017, and provided draft materials to begin considering the process.   Chairs can distribute these materials to program directors now. 

    The Dean indicated that suggested modifications to the “2017-2023 University Plan, Draft Mission and Value Statement” should to be sent to him by September 14, 2016.  He will forward suggestions to the Planning Office. 
    Council members noted that the document could be more inclusive of research and planning related to the creative arts and the humanities.
    “Draft Academic Plan 2017-23” was also distributed.

Dean Hennessy indicated that “Challenge and Change: Background Briefs to assist with Planning Efforts” was written by Texas State administrators with the purpose of providing perspective for planning by Centers and Departments.Dean Hennessy will send a link or a PDF to chairs of all 3 documents distributed in the meeting.

The COLA Retreat (9/21) will focus on planning for the next 6 years. The Dean’s tentative approach is that chairs and directors should create a one-page report with (1) three or four planning points for the 6-year cycle and (2) three accomplishments from last year. The retreat will include a discussion of marketable skills within each major.

  1. Digital Measures vita migration issues
    Problems with the migration of curricula vitae from TK-20 to Digital Measures were discussed. Dean Hennessy noted that the issue had come up CAD.
     
  2. New Curriculum Process
    Susan Day reviewed the previously noted deadlines for the new curriculum process.
     
  3. CAD update.     
    A. Gloria Martinez-Ramos will chair a committee to create a Latino Studies minor.

    B.  All PPSs and UPPSs will be put in new system with both legacy numbers and new numbers that will be searchable. 

    C. The Faculty Senate has proposed an amendment to its constitution allowing senior lecturers to be elected to the Senate.  The voting faculty will vote on this amendment, which is attempts to recognize the increasing number of senior lecturers on the Texas State faculty.

D. Subvention costs for faculty book authors can be requested through chairs.

  1. Informational Items (e.g., Reminders):

University Curriculum Committee meets Friday (9.9.16) to discuss the course proposals that were submitted last spring to be effective fall 2017

 

Other business

  1. Lucy Harney passed around a list of Study Abroad Council members and LA Internship Coordinators.  She requested corrections to the both lists.
     
  2. Bill Kelemen discussed the employee of the month process.
     

Around the table

  1. Beth Erhart has been appointed to Assistant Provost search committee.
     
  2. Concern was raised that students are unable to use MS Word.  It was asserted that they have learned to use Google.doc in high school instead of Word.  Chad Smith said Google.doc is used in businesses.
     
  3. Audwin Anderson is in the process of grandfathering courses as multi-cultural.  He will send list of courses he is proposing for getting the MC designation, as well as the courses that have been designated as MC.  Faculty still may apply for the Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute to pursue MP designation for their courses.
     
  4. Craig Hanks distributed the program for the “Engagement Symposium,” a joint-enterprise of Philosophy and Dance to be held September 8-10, 2016, at Texas State. 
     
  5. Chad Smith asked whether others had received emails from students requesting time in class to provide students with information about various business and political enterprises.  Several chairs and directors indicated that they had had similar requests.
     
  6. Dan Lochman mentioned the Class Scheduling Task Force report at the Council of Chairs about handling limited classroom space by requiring classes to have 10 (GRD) and 15 (UG) students to be offered. 

The meeting adjourned at 4:05.

9.07.16.app (DOCX, 136 KB)