Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2017
Liberal Arts Council Minutes
March 1, 2017
2:00 PM—Flowers Hall 230
Presiding: Dean Michael Hennessy
Present: Council members: Audwin Anderson, Britt Bousman, Mary Brennan, Susan Day (recording), Dennis Dunn, Beth Erhart, Alberto Giordano, Ken Grasso, Nancy Grayson, Craig Hanks, Lucy Harney, Bill Kelemen, Dan Lochman, Chad Smith
The minutes of 2.15.17 were approved without discussion.
The following issues were discussed.
Financial Aid Rule: Federal law prescribes that only hours counting toward a degree can qualify for financial aid. A discussion of what, if any, changes this law requires at the Texas State ensued. Additional information may be forthcoming from Financial Aid. Processing program change forms indicating all prescribed electives and possible free electives may be required. Dean Hennessy will seek additional information about this issue.
- Debbie Thorne is seeking a faculty member to be on the Faculty Qualifications (Digital Measures) evaluation team.
- The mental health statement will not be required for syllabi.
- UG admission report looks good, but other universities’ admission goals may effect our final class size.
- Graduate acceptances look good for the College of Liberal Arts, for summer and fall.
- Forms for submitting QEP theme idea are available. Chairs were encouraged to encourage faculty to submit ideas.
- Eighteen hundred students attended Bob Cat Day on Saturday.
Dean Hennessy asked chairs whether they had attended the Master Plan meetings. Dr. Kelemen attended and made a brief report. The meetings were videotaped and will be available on line.
Catalog Edits – Susan Day will send catalog documents to each chair. Changes should be made in track changes and returned to Susan. She will forward them to Sonya.
Reasonable Suspicion Course – This on-line course is required of all supervisors. It is now available.
Around the table:
Today is the deadline for College Graduate Scholarships. Dean Grayson will forward applicants to the chairs as soon as they are available.
The meeting ended at 3:10 P.M.