Skip to Content

Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2018

Liberal Arts Council Minutes

September 19, 2018

2:00 PM—Flowers Hall 230
 

 

Presiding: Dean Mary Brennan
Present: Council members:
Audwin Anderson, Manda Anderson, Susan Day (recording), Beth Erhart, Craig Hanks, Bill Kelemen, Dan Lochman, Yongmei Lu, Angela Murphy, John Mckiernan-Gonzalez, Ken Grasso, Lucy Harney, Aimee Roundtree, Chad Smith

Absent: Paul Hart

Guests:

 

The minutes of 9.12.18 were unanimously approved after a motion in support by Dr. Grasso and a second by Dr. Lochman. 


Dean Brennan noted that Dr. Hart will be unable to attend LAC this fall because he is teaching at this time.

 

Dr. Harney moved the change of name for her department from Department of Modern Language to the Department of World Languages and Literatures.  Dr. Kelemen seconded the motion, which was unanimously approved.

 

Dean Brennan notified chairs that HB 1508 requires departments with teacher certification programs to inform applicants and current students that a conviction of an offense may render them ineligible to obtain an “occupational license.”  Department advisors must also become familiar with HB 1508.  Dean Brennan will ask whether this notification must be done each semester or year.

 

Dean Brennan introduced a study by Joe Meyer about retention and graduation rates for Pell and non-Pell applicants.  Male, lower income students are most vulnerable to not being retained from the first to second year.  Forty percent of our freshman class is Pell eligible this academic year. 

 

Enrollment is flat (lower) this year than last year, although our freshman class is the largest ever.  She noted that newer faculty tend not to know how the university is funded and the source of funds for raises.  Our Hazelwood bill is $19M this year.  New programs (Engineering, Health Professions BA) will attract new students.  Dean Brennan wants to raise the issue of Liberal Arts relevance at a future retreat.  We must have a plan since we are no longer the largest college.  Manda Anderson asked about the implementation of recommendations from the Transfer Task Force.  Dean Brennan indicated that some recommendations had been considered or implemented.  Dr. Kelemen asked where potential transfer students should be sent for assistance.  The consensus is that students should be sent to Undergraduate Admissions.

 

Dean Brennan reminded the Council that Dr. Harney needs to update her list of faculty members for the Study Abroad Council.  She also wants to update her list of Internships coordinators.  Chairs and Director should send lists to her.

 

Dean Brennan reminded the Council to please complete the CTXMAT Math Survey requested in an 9.14.18 email from the Provost.

 

Dean Brennan changed time the keeping deadline to noon each Monday for direct report chairs and directors. Minor changes in the time-keeping rubric will also be made.

 

Dr. Day made announcements about assessment.

  • Now is the time for making changes to SLOs; if you make changes, please tell her.
  • AVP Dr. Beth Wuest can make changes to last year’s submission if you find errors or omissions; if you make changes, let her know.
  • The submission schedule will be tighter next spring.  The SACS-COC off-site assessors will do their work next fall, in October and November.  Administrators have lost their positions at other universities as a result of problems with accreditation.
  • Dr. Day can help with the critical aspects of submissions, Evidence of Improvement and Action Plans, for the spring submissions.
  • APR will be continued at Texas State in some form.

 

Announcements/around the table

  • Dr. Roundtree continues to plan for Innovation Day.  She will send invitations to students; she has prizes to entice student attendance.  Our Innovation Day focuses on our faculty and their achievements.  Dr. Roundtree’s innovation site can be found at http://www.liberalarts.txstate.edu/News-and-Events/innovation.html.
  • Dr. Harney asked about administrative assistant raises. 
  • Dr.  Murphy circulated a letter of support for Torsten Feys’ Fulbright Application.  Separate support letters should be sent to Dr. Murphy.

 

The meeting ended at 3:02 p.m.

 

 


Minutes 9.19.18 (DOCX, 19 KB)