Skip to Content

Liberal Arts Council Minutes 2020

Minutes

Liberal Arts Council

Via Zoom Meeting

15 April 2020 2:00 p.m.

 

Presiding: Dean Mary Brennan
Present: Council members:
Audwin Anderson, Manda Anderson, Susan Day (recording), Beth Erhart, Ken Grasso, Craig Hanks, Lucy Harney, Paul Hart, Bill Kelemen, Yongmei Lu, John Mckiernan-Gonzalez, Angela Murphy, Aimee Roundtree, Vicki Smith, Chad Smith

Guests:  no one

Absent: 

 

The meeting began at 2:00 p.m. and was conducted using ZOOM.  All participants were present through their computer screens.  The minutes of 3.25.20 minutes were approved without dissension on a motion by Dr. Kelemen and a second by Dr. Grasso.

 

Because the Provost heard from some departments that summer 2 enrollments are lagging, Dean Brennan asked whether COLA summer classes are lagging.   Chairs and directors indicated classes (although some on-line courses are smaller) are full or are filling, for the most part. On-line courses are popular, but face-to-face classes can be larger.  Chairs asked to know as soon as possible whether summer II will be on-line.  Chairs would prefer a choice for summer II delivery.

Dean Brennan asked for names of graduate students to be nominated to serve in the Graduate House as representatives. 

Associate Provost Thorne says ECF requests are budget processes with potentially inaccurate numbers.  Chairs are asked to make the best judgments (guesses) for deciding which faculty can be paid out of ECF funds.  If errors are made, the Provost’s office will make up the difference, understanding that budgets are potentially inaccurate. Chairs are asked to use up to 80 percent of ECF budget sent to department, leaving 20 percent in reserve.  Do not count to be able to carry forward funds. Do not attempt to  build up carry a forward reserve. 

CAD/COVID Update: For the rest of the semester, departmental phones must be answered by someone who knows the answers to questions.  Texas State received $31M from Care Act.  Half must be spent on students; how the rest will be spent is unclear.  At CAD, Dana Willett demonstrated on-line approach to learning how to teach on-line.  Faculty should consider taking the certification now.  Names of faculty who need the training before summer should be sent to Office of Distance and Extended Learning.

Departments reported no problems or concerns in the “around-the-screen.”

 

Dean Brennan discussed EP (emergency pass) grades.  She asked what professors are saying about grades.  She also suggested faculty members may tell students to discuss with their academic advisors whether to request an EP grade.


Dean Brennan asked whether there are ways to assist professors with large classes in dealing with EP requests.  She asked chairs to think about the issue.  She asked chairs to encourage professors to be responsive to student emails after grades are submitted.  Dr. Kelemen indicated that chairs can initiate EP requests if professors allow it.

 

The meeting ended at 3:00 p.m.

 


Minutes 4.15.20 (DOCX, 19 KB)